Sunday, August 30, 2009

E. Van Lowe's Zombie Movie Pick

Welcome to day two of Zombie Week.   

Today I am going to review a movie.  Yes, Nancy, it’s a zombie flick.  Let me begin by saying I love zombie flicks.  Love, love, love them!  The remake of Night of The Living Dead and Twenty-Eight Days Later are among my all time favorites. 
 
Being a comedy writer, I also enjoy funny movies, so for me, a funny zombie movie is nirvana.  Movies like Fido and Shaun of The Dead—one of the funniest zombie movies ever made—are also on my list of favorites. Today I am going talk about a camp zombie flick.  Wikipedia defines camp as an aesthetic sensibility wherein something is appealing because of its bad taste and ironic value.   Bad taste and irony.  Yay!  To me there is nothing funnier than a campy movie, which brings me to Flight of The Living Dead: Outbreak On A Plane.  The name says it all, doesn't it?  This D-horror flick could have easily been called Zombies On A Plane, because that’s what it is.
 
Okay, here we go.  Mad scientist Leo Bennett, has discovered a way to alter humans so that when they die they come back to life--and he thought this was a good idea.  One of the other scientists’ wives is accidentally exposed to mad scientist Leo’s virus, so they put her in suspended animation until they can find a cure.  And then what do they do?  Why they take her on a 747 full of innocent people, of course.  Fortunately the people on the plane are not very likable, so we can't wait for them to die.  And die they do. 
 
Characters include: the aging flight captain who is on his last flight (And the minute he tells us this we know he’s dead);  two young couples we can't stand (We also can’t wait for them to become members of the living dead).  There’s even a plain clothes police officer with his sarcastic prisoner handcuffed to his wrist, and a few scantily clad flight attendants.  These characters may be cliched, but who cares.  They’re all going to die. 
 
Some of the dialogue in this movie is so bad it’s hysterically funny.  But the zombies are really SCARY, and there’s lots of action.  If you can put up with the dialogue and plot line, you are in for one heck of a thrill ride.  Once the action gets going it is pretty much non stop.  I'm not going to spill too much of the storyline because I don’t want to spoil the fun. 
 
My only warning is for those of you who like their movies to have something meaningful going on.   This movie is not very deep.  It isn’t going to win any awards, but I enjoyed it anyway.  It's perfect for those days when you want to watch something that doesn't require a lot of thought. So, if you’re into campy movies, and love zombies and action, this movie is for you.  I rate it four brains.
 
E

*guest post from E. Van Lowe, author of Never Slow Dance With A Zombie

 
Imagination Designs
Images from: Lovelytocu