Tuesday, October 13, 2009

November Novella Challenge

hosted by J.T. of Bibliofreak
all review entries
~~ completed ~~

This is my acceptance post for this challenge that should keep me busy in November. I'm starting off with Level II - reading 4. But being me will end up in Level IV!

For this challenge, there are 4 levels of participation:

Level I: Read one (just one!) novella by November 30, 2009

Level II: Read four novellas (one each week, mayhaps?) by November 30, 2009

Level III: Read eight novellas (two a week?) by November 30, 2009

Level IV: AKA, the As Many As You Freakin’ Can level: Read as many novellas as you freakin’ can by November 30, 2009


My list:

I'm going Japanese...

Snow Country by Yasunari Kawabata

Thousand Cranes by Yasunari Kawabata

Night and Night Travelers by Banana Yoshimoto - my review

Love Songs by Banana Yoshimoto - my review

Asleep by Banana Yoshimoto - my review

... see I've already listed 5!

*******************************************

Not on the original list but read:

The Shadow of Mist by Yasmine Galenorn - my review


*******************************************

Do I dare with this one?

Drop
by Koji Suzuki

Description blurb:
TOKYO – In a country where ghosts are traditionally believed to hide in the loo, a Japanese company is advertising a new literary experience — a horror story printed on toilet paper.

Each roll carries several copies of a new nine-chapter novella written by Koji Suzuki, the Japanese author of the horror story “Ring,” which has been made into movies in both Japan and Hollywood.

“Drop,” set in a public restroom, takes up about three feet (90 centimeters) of a roll and can be read in just a few minutes, according to the manufacturer, Hayashi Paper.

The company promotes the toilet paper, which will sell for 210 yen ($2.20) a roll, as “a horror experience in the toilet.”

Toilets in Japan were traditionally tucked away in a dark corner of the house due to religious beliefs. Parents would tease children that a hairy hand might pull them down into the dark pool below.


Darn!

Not in English yet, J.T.

It was just released in June 2009.

Wonder how long it will be before we can feast our eyes on it.

 
Imagination Designs
Images from: Lovelytocu